Friday, April 29, 2011

Virtual Kelvin Day 3

What a day! That's right, Virtual Kelvin was certified this morning at 8.00 AM Hong Kong time. 




Doesn't it look hugely professional? It better because I paid some Serbian guy a lot of money to draw the icons and the user interface. Actually someone told me the UI isn't that professional looking. I added their house to the list of houses I need to explode. From now on I don't want anyone hanging out with Actual Kelvin, if you feel the need to see his face just play Virtual Kelvin. Anyone who hangs out with Actual Kelvin will have their house added to my "List of houses to explode", which could lead to their house exploding.


After something great happens, it is normal to celebrate. So I called everyone I knew and asked them if they wanted to go hiking. No one would go hiking with me. This could be because I don't know many people and the people I do know hate me. So I went hiking by myself.




So I took the bus to Aberdeen walked up the hill and started hiking. Above is the path from Aberdeen to Wong Nai Chung Road.




It was a really foggy rainy day and no one else was on the trail. Which gave me a lot of time to think about how cold and wet I was. After hiking I went home and ate a sandwich for dinner. Jack wasn't there. Where did Jack go anyway? Now onto the really interesting stuff, what did I do on Day 3 of Virtual Kelvin's development cycle?


Wednesday


I woke up and watched some Windows Phone 7 development videos with Rob Miles and some other dude. They were pretty funny and I learned quite a bit. Then I remembered "Shit I need to buy a WP7 phone". So I called up Actual Kelvin and asked him if he wanted to go to Aberdeen to watch me buy a Windows Phone 7... phone. Remember this was last week, there was no ban on hanging out with Actual Kelvin at that point.


"Alright but I have twenty pairs of under wear to fold"
"Can't you fold them later"
"No"
"Why do you need to fold them anyway?"
"They look better folded"
"Alright"


After he was done with his under wear we took the bus to Aberdeen. On the way we talked about our favourite animals. Kelvin likes bats best. What a weirdo. We went into some shop and asked if they had an HTC HD7, they did not. Then we went to another shop. They were out of stock. Out of stock? Who has been buying these phones? I haven't seen anyone use one ever. Then we went to FORTRESS and they were also out of stock and Kelvin asked them where they had stock.


ELEMENTS. We had to go to the Elements shopping arcade in Kowloon Station, this is where GARY lives. Unfortunately Gary wasn't at home, he was working (hahaha @ Gary). So I bought something to eat because I hadn't eaten lunch then I waited for the bus with Actual Kelvin. Jack appeared with some friends and I talked to him about something and then he left.


We got on the bus and it was great. We got off just after the Western Harbour tunnel, walked along a really long bridge and then Kelvin looked at some railings. He said they were great for skate boarding. I bought an HTC HD7 from elements then headed home.


HOWEVER! Vishal gave me a call and said he had dubbed audio from the microphone stream on top of the video we recorded the day before. "Meet me in Statue Square and I'll give you a thumb drive with the video on it. If you do not, I will explode your house" I didn't want to go all the way to Central, but when someone threatens to explode your house, you have to take them seriously.


So we went to Central, picked up the video then took the 10X bus home. At home I played around with my HTC HD7 but couldn't figure out how to deploy code to it. Then I found out something terrible. I had to authenticate myself as a developer. Groan! I did not know how to do that but it sounded like something that would take a really long time and that made me FURIOUS. I kicked my pillow off the bed.


So I figured out what I needed to do. Here is a simplified step by step guide for you:
1. Make some stupid WP7 app that doesn't really do anything.
2. Create an XAP
3. Upload it to AppHub
4. Submit it for certification.
5. Wait for an email from GeoTrust
6. Fill out their form and scan your passport and the form.
7. Email the scanned files to GeoTrust.
8. Go to bed and hope it is all sorted out in the morning.


Luckily it was all sorted out in the morning. Nice one. Until next time (tomorrow), when I tell you all about Virtual Kelvin Day 4 - Programming time.






No comments:

Post a Comment